It's National Egg Day! I love eggs. I look forward to the weekend when I have time to make eggs. The rest of the family isn't really into them though I do make eggs on a bagel for them when they are in the mood. I was trying to decide what my favorite way to make eggs is. I like scrambled, hard boiled, deviled and egg sandwiches. I have been known to make an omlet but it needs work. My favorite way is over easy though. With some bacon and rye toast to sop it all up.
Here are some Egg Facts and below an omlet video that I might try. How about you?
- The U. S. produces 75-billion eggs annually.
- The U. S. produces about 10% of the world’s egg supply.
- Most eggs are laid between 7-11:00am.
- A hen requires 24 to 26 hours to produce an egg.
- Egg size and grade are not related to one another. Size is determined by weight per dozen.
- Yolk color depends on the plant pigments in the hens’ feed.
- Normally, hens with white ear lobes lay white eggs. (I didn't even know hens had ear lobes!)
- Normally, hens with red ear lobes lay brown eggs.
- There is no nutritional difference between white and brown eggs.
- As hens grow older, they produce larger eggs.
- A mother hen turns her eggs about 50 times per day