This might be the hardest decision I have to make this week. How about you? I saw that today is Nation Potato Chip Day AND National Popcorn Lovers Day. How can these both be on the same day? Is it some kind of conspiracy? What team do you go with? Sorry the rule is you can only do one.
I have to admit that with a sandwich I'm a chip guy, but with a movie it's gotta be popcorn...but if I could only pick one? Oh don't make me do it...OK I'm going Popcorn! And I have to be able to mix some white cheddar popcorn in the the microwave stuff. Yes it is THAT good.
- An 1822 British Recipe calls for "potatoes fried in slices or shavings, but they were 1/4 of an inch thick. I say "them's fries"
- Chips really trace their roots back to our own Saratoga. More on that here
- Chips were declared "nonessential food" during World War II so production stopped.
- Flavored chips first showed up in the 1950s
- Pringles are NOT potato chips. They are potato CRISPS. They are made from dried potatoes not fresh ones. Discuss among yourselves.
- The oldest ears of popcorn ever found were in Mexico. They found them over 4000 years ago. Check the expiration date people!
- Popcorn comes in 2 shapes. Mushroom and Snowflake. I need to research this more...personally
- Unlike potato chips, consumption of popcorn skyrocketed during World War II due to sugar shortages for candy
- Americans each enough popcorn every year to fill up the Empire State Building 18 times.
- Popcorn can pop up to 3 feet in the air.
photo: getty images