Let's face it, being a parent isn't all rainbows & unicorns...even if you have room decorated with them. You have to have some fun with it. One of my favorite things is to annoy our kids by being a "Dad". I found this list of words that really annoy teens. I am currently working on crafting the perfect conversation that will work as many of them in as possible.
Words that Annoy Teens:
- Swag - In 2012 it meant someone who is cool. They "have swag". Now the word to use is "Lit". for this exercise I am sticking with Swag.
- Bae - Yep that's short for Baby. Sorry no current alternative so....keep using it.
- YOLO - You only live once, so keep using it. It's "key" as the kids now say
- On Fleek - It means something is perfect. This one's new to me, but old to them. If you hear them say you are "looking snatched" it's a complement. Ha ha...like that's gonna happen
- Rad, Groovy, Sick - All old favorites that will bug your teens. Be sure to use them in front of their friends
Here's are the conversation I'm going to roll out tonight. It's a work in progress.
"Hey you know Mom has swag. She's my Bae so we have a Rad night planned Saturday night. It would be On Fleek if you could watch your sister for a few hours. This is going to be a sick date. YOLO right?"
Then just leave the room. For bonus points toss in "Oh it would be Sick if you could clean up your room a bit. Groovy?" as you walk away.
photo: getty images