September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and not a lot of people know this. That is probably because former President Obama only passed the proclamation deeming September as Childhood Cancer Month in 2012. Up until then, the cause had just a day dedicated to raising awareness, but with these statistics so much more is needed.
Did you know that...
- 1 in 285 children will be diagnosed with cancer.
- 43 children per day or 15,780 children per year are expected to be diagnosed with cancer.
- Cancer is the number one cause of death by disease among children.
- The average cost of a stay in a hospital for a child with cancer is $40,000.
- Only 4% of federal government cancer research funding goes to study pediatric cancer.
It doesn't have to be a large monetary donation to help, there are many small ways you can assist. In fact, Albany Med has come up with several simple ways to make a child's stay at the hospital more enjoyable.
If you’d like to make a monetary donation to continue to the Bernard & Millie Duker Children’s Hospital or become a River Miracle Maker for $15 per month, visit this page https://community.amc.edu/radiothon or text AMCKIDS TO 51555 and they’ll send a link. Message and data rates may apply”
Something as small as a magazine subscription can brighten a sick child's day. We hope that many of you will consider helping out.