Happy National Banana Day. It's really hot and humid today so I think I'll celebrates with 3 scoops of ice cream some whipped cream and a cherry on top. Anyone else? I have a banana for with breakfast almost every day. Don't know if that's healthy or not. I just like them. I have to time my banana eating to avoid the photo above. Last week I let them go too long and we have some fruit flies all of a sudden. Coincidence? I think not. Kinda gross when you think too much about it. I try not to.
I found some interested banana facts to amaze your friends:
- The cluster you buy bananas in is called a "Hand". Some have more fingers than others
- Half of people allergic to latex are also allergic to bananas. What are we eating here?\
- Plantains are less sweet type of bananas that is usually cooked. I call them rip off bananas. Bananas should be sweet. The end.
- The yellow bananas we buy in stores are called "dessert bananas" because they are sweet & soft.
- The string things inside bananas are called "phloem bundles" They make sure the entire banana gets all it's nutrients when its growing.
- Bananas are the 4th largest fruit crop in the world.
- India is the #1 producer of bananas.
I was looking for some kind of banana recipe when got distracted by this video. I guess you are on your own.
photo: getty images