It's national Hot Dog Day! When was the last time you stopped into Mike's for a dog? It's been a while for me too. Every time I drive by I say the same thing. Maybe today is the day. I love that place!
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs so I also love the Chicago Style Hot Dog. The bun, the peppers & the celery salt are the key ingredients. I've had trouble finding the peppers. What ever you do don't put ketchup on there! Fights have broken out over ketchup. See the photo below. I took that pic at O'Hare airport the last time I was in town.
The guy below will also show you how to make one.
Here are some hot dog day facts for you. Share them and impress your friends:
- Americans eat over 20 billion Hot Dogs per year.
- The average person eats about 70 per year. (Joey Chestnut does that in one sitting)
- About 450 Hot Dogs are eaten every second
- Hot Dogs are served in 95% of US homes. Not sure what's up with the other 5%
- Mustard is the most popular topping.
- Chicago's O'Hare International Airport consumes SIX times more hot dogs than Los Angeles International Airport and LaGuardia Airport combined every year. If you are keeping count that is about 725,000 Chicago Style Dogs.
This is a real sign I saw at O'Hare Airport. Do you agree? pic.twitter.com/9ZTnGe7RSE— Randy McCarten (@randymccarten) April 24, 2018