You've been in this situation before, right? A friend or co-worker invites you to a party. 'Great! I'd love to come!!' You show up at the party and know NO ONE! (except, of course for the host)...but as we all know...the host of a party is always a little too busy, um, hosting...to give you undivided attention...very understandable. So now everything becomes awkward. Hopefully you went with your spouse or significant other! In fact, there is one scenario which is worse...you go with your spouse to a party and only know your spouse! Now...if you are anything like me, you'd rather shrivel up into a little ball and disappear or find the nearest tv with a sport of any kind on it...yes, even soccer!
I found an article with party ice breaking tips...but the problem is...it requires me to do the talking first! For an extreme introvert like myself....still not easy to do...like I said...where's the nearest TV! But perhaps some of these openers can work for your next 'don't know anyone' party:
- “Hello” – It may sound simple, but sometimes all you need is simple.
- “I'll be honest, the only person I know here is the bartender, and I just met him two minutes ago. Mind if I introduce myself?” – Humor can be your friend.
- “Hey guys, do you mind if I join you just to eavesdrop?”- But only use in a group of three or more.
- “How did you hear about this party?” – A great conversation starter that will likely lead to a larger conversation
- “Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what that dish is. Do you know?” - Food is always fun to talk about.
Those are just a few of the tips...there's a total of 23 on the article I found and you can see the full list right here! Good luck! ~kev